Our everyday needs water. It is truly said that we cannot live without water. The body is about 60% water, give or take. Our body loses water in the form of sweat and urine. But have we ever thought of the benefits water does to us and How much water to Drink Daily?
You will be surprised to know the benefits the water for health, skin, and hair has. How drinking an adequate amount of water helps in keeping our body hydrated and also gives us various health benefits.
Let us have a look at the blog, to understand the benefits of drinking water, How much water to Drink Daily, the best time to drink water, and Why it’s important for your body. Let’s start-
What are the benefits of drinking a lot of water?
1. Temperature Stable-
Keeps the body temperature stable. Water is stored in the middle layer of the skin, which when heats up come to the skin in the form of sweat. When your body is sufficiently fuelled with water, it is tolerant of heat strain.
2. Protects Cells and Tissues-
Drinking water helps in protecting the cells and tissues. Dehydration can affect your brain and other function. A great amount of dehydration can lead to problems with thinking and another reasoning part.
3. Lubricates the Joints-
It also helps in the lubrication of joints. The cartilage which is found in the joints contains around 80% water. So, drinking water keeps the joints lubricated and intact.
4. Removal of Toxins-
Drinking enough water helps in the removal of toxins from the body. Your kidney needs to flush out the toxins from the body. The kidney’s work is to filter the impure blood so that our body receives pure and oxygenated blood. So drinking water in the morning helps in clearing your blood, which will help in the glow of the skin and healthy hair.
5. Delivers Oxygen-
Blood is made up of 90% of water, and the main function of blood is to provide the body with oxygen. When your blood is pure and clean, it delivers proper oxygen to the body.
6. Digestive System-
The digestive system works properly when the body has adequate water. If the body is dehydrated, it can lead to constipation, and acidic stomach, which results in ulcers and heartburn.
7. Maintains Blood Pressure-
Dehydration leads to the thickening of the blood, increasing the blood pressure.
8. Proper minerals and nutrients-
Minerals and Nutrients are dissolved in water, drinking water gives our body access to these minerals and nutrients.
9. No Kidney Stones-
Drinking an adequate amount of water helps in the proper functioning of the kidney, and there won’t be any Kidney Stone problems.
10. Weight Loss-
This might be a little strange for you guys, how drinking water can lead to weight loss. It is a simple concept, and if you drink water before meals, it will help in the prevention of overeating. Drinking water is helpful to reduce upper body fat and lower body fat.
11. Boosts Performance-
Drinking water helps in boosting your performance in the exercise. Some researchers have told that consuming more water enhances performance during any strenuous activity.
12. Boosts skin and health performance-
When you drink an adequate amount of water, the toxins from the body get flushed out, making your skin more glowy and healthy. Dehydration leads to flaky skin, which is prone to breaks and fine lines. Drinking water daily gets rid of acne, pigmentation and prevents aging skin.
13. Helps in creating Saliva-
Saliva’s main component is Water. Saliva helps in breaking down the food and keeping our mouth healthy. The production of Saliva also decreases the age.
So, these are some amazing benefits of drinking water for health, skin, and hair. Now let us see how much does the adequate water intake counts in-
How Much Water to Drink Daily?
Water intake is different for different people. It strongly depends on gender, age, and body built up. There is no fixed amount of water a person can drink.
According to Ayurveda Water Intake Quantity-–
- Women should drink 9 cups of water/fluids a day
- Men should drink 12 cups.
Now, the above line also confuses us, as cups size can differ.
- For Men- Around 3.7 liters
- For Women- Around 2.7 liters
80% of the above amount should come from drinks, and the rest 20% can come from food. Fresh fruits, vegetables and any kind of non-alcoholic fluids can be counted in it.
The minimum requirement is the 8-ounce glasses or 2 liters. This is called 8*8 rule, and this can be remembered easily.
Best Times to Drink the Most Water
The above was the average consumption of the water. Now, there are times when we don’t feel like drinking water, but that is the most important time for us to drink water. Like-
- When we are suffering from Fever.
- When the weather outside is Hot.
- If you are having vomiting.
- When you sweat a lot performing any physical exercise.
More Facts about Time To Drink Water:
- Men have less tendency to drink water than Women. But still, Men’s body has more water than a Women’s body.
- Fatty tissue has less water than lean tissue.
- Babies have the highest percentage of water compared to adults. They have around 78% water when they are born, which gets reduced to 65% in one year.
How to know whether you are drinking enough water or not?
We have learned till now, that an adequate drinking amount of water reduces many problems. We also know how much amount of water we should drink, but how to know whether we are drinking enough water or not? Know to calculate how much water to drink a day.
It is not always possible to have a track record of how much water we have drunk. So, we can notice the symptoms, if we are facing any of the below symptoms, we are not drinking enough water–
- You are feeling hungrier than usual- Thirst and hunger come from the same part of the brain, so we often tend to confuse it. If you are feeling hungrier than you used to, maybe your body is just dehydrated.
- You are feeling super dry- There are various ways in which our body tells us that it is dehydrated. Like the dry mouth, chapped lips, lack of tears, and dry skin.
- You have a headache- You often have headaches. When you are dehydrated, your blood volume also decreases, which reduces the oxygen supply in the brain, causing headaches.
- Your breath stinks- When your body is dehydrated, your mouth also stinks, and you get bad breath. This might be a sign of drinking water. When you drink water, saliva gets formed, which fights the bacteria from the mouth.
- Your muscles feel crampy- Fatigued, cramping, muscle spasms. These all are signs of dehydration.
So, above are the facts when your body is telling you it is dehydrated.
What food has the most water content?
Drinking water always to fulfill the body requirement of water is not possible. There are many different alternatives, which can be consumed to fulfill the water requirement. Some of the most hydrating foods and fruits for more water are as follows-
1. Coffee or Tea-
People think they only provide caffeine, and caffeine is diuretic. But, the diuretic effect is very weak in this. They also keep you hydrated.
It is the richest source of water. It tastes amazingly good and contains around 92% of water content. Watermelon has a very low-calorie density, and it is also a powerful antioxidant.
They have 91% water content. They are also a rich source of fiber, vitamins, minerals, and manganese. Eating strawberries fulfill the water requirement and also reduces inflammation.
Its water content is 90%. Cantaloupe is a melon that is extremely nutritious and is very beneficial for health. It also has many health-promoting vitamins and minerals.
This is a very hydrating and nutrient-rich fruit with 89% water content. It is also rich in antioxidants, which help in fighting off many diseases.
6. Skim Milk-
Milk is very nutritious filled up with vitamin A, calcium, phosphorus and potassium. It contains 91% of water content. It helps in rehydrating your body after a workout.
Another healthy and hydrating food that is mostly used in Salads. Cucumber is a rich source of water, with 95% of water content. It also helps in maintaining the weight of the body.
It is very healthy and nutritious. It contains 95% of water and is also rich in vitamin K. It is very beneficial in weight loss and also protects the heart against any disease.
9. Plain Yogurt-
We know there are a lot many benefits of eating yogurt. One more added to it is it hydrates the body. It contains around 88% of water with several vitamins, minerals, calcium, phosphorus, and potassium.
Tomatoes are rich in antioxidants which help in fighting many diseases. It is very nutritious and healthy. Water content found in tomatoes is around 94%.
So, these are some of the water-rich food, which you can consume to fulfill the water level in the body.
Excess Consumption of Water
It is rightly said that excess of anything is bad. The same goes for water, and if you are drinking water in excess quantity (above the quantity which is prescribed), it will become a disadvantage for you.
Too much water can cause hyponatremia, or water intoxication, which is caused when the sodium level decreases in the blood. So, always keep the intake at a proper level.
When should we drink water in a day?-
There are times when drinking water becomes most beneficial for good health. Like-
- Drink around 2-3 glasses of lukewarm water when you wake up, this helps in flushing out the toxins right away. It also helps to kickstart your day and your brain.
- Drink an hour before, and you go to eat, it will help in digestion and also keep your calorie intake proper.
- Drink before the workout, so your body is well hydrated during the exercise.
- Drink water before bath time; this helps in lowering blood pressure. Try to have a little lukewarm water.
- Drink before bedtime, and if you are properly hydrated while sleeping, it lowers the risk of heart attack and stroke.
- Always drink water while sitting; it will give you the best results of water.
- Drink when you are tired, this will help in powering up your brain.
So, after knowing How much Water to Drink Daily? benefits of water, try drinking an adequate amount of water. So, that many diseases get washed away from your body system.
Here are some ways how you can drink ample amount of water-
- Carry a bottle with you where ever you go, this will help you in drinking more water.
- Try to keep track of water intake with the help of your bottle. One bottle means One liter.
- Try to reach the recommended level of your water till midday, so that, the whole day you do not need to worry and you can just finish the level when you go to sleep.
- It is not always necessary to drink water. You should always focus on fluid intake.
- Skip the Sugary drink. They make your stomach dehydrate.
So, what is your water intake amount? Please comment.
1. Is it healthy to drink 2 liters of water daily?
Yes, drinking at least 2 liters of water is good for your health.
2. What happens if I drink more water?
If you cross the maximum limit of drinking water, it will reduce the sodium level in your body, causing headaches and nausea.
3. Is it good to drink water at night?
Drinking water before bedtime has a lot of benefits. But try avoiding drinking water just before going to bed, this may interrupt the sleep cycle and can impact your heart health.
4. How much water to drink in the morning?
Drink at least 2-3 glasses of water, this will help in removing toxins from the body and will kickstart your brain.
Recommended articles for you:
- How to burn calories fast at home
- 13 Ayurvedic Hair Oils For Hair growth
- Best fitness trackers for your healthy lifestyle
- How to start the keto diet step by step
- Benefits of Drinking Water from A Copper Cup
- 21 Proven health benefits of garlic